Since 2001 the University of Bari, supported by the town Council of Fasano and the Archaeological Suprintendence of Apulia, started a new phase of excavation. In particular they are going on excavating the so-called “forum”, a vast porticoed square still remained undetected for a half of its real extension, and an other stretch of the Via Traiana.
These excavations have revealed further important information about Gnathia: between 5th and 6th century a.D. the town changed its urban order; the Via Traiana, that was the main street during the imperial age, became a secondary way during the late Middle Ages; about in 1000 some buildings structures were put on the paved square. This testifies that during the centuries the urban area had been changing into a rural one.
The fortress built on the acropolis defended the Medieval town at least till 13th century. Afterwards the wealthy and flourishing port of Gnathia, which had come in touch with all the Mediterranean lands, came to an end.
Translated by Annamaria Tanzarella